English language tests: Four key points to help you apply
Hi! I’m Natalie and I work as a Programme Officer – International at the Chevening Secretariat. We want to encourage you to check your eligibility for a Chevening Scholarship then to apply and take advantage of this life-changing opportunity! One of the key requirement is the English language requirement, and there are a few common areas that we thought would be useful to address here.
(1) There are different English language requirements for Chevening and universities in the UK
In order to be eligible for a Chevening award, you must achieve the minimum score from one of our recognised English language test providers by 11 July 2019. You can find a breakdown of scores here. Please note that you must also meet your university’s English language requirements and Chevening will not be able to negotiate with the university on your behalf for them to alter their scores.
(2) Even if you have studied in English at college or university, you may still have to take an English language test for your Chevening application
Chevening follows UKVI decisions on which countries are exempt from English language testing and no exception can be given to those individuals who are not nationals of a particular country or who have not completed a degree in a particular country. The list of exempt countries can be found here.
(3) There is no flexibility to Chevening’s required scores
Review Chevening’s English language requirements carefully as there is no flexibility with these scores (e.g. even if you have achieved an overall score of 8 in your IELTS but have scored a 5 in the listening component, you will not be eligible.)
(4) You have until 11 July 2019 to fulfil the English Language requirements
The English language test must be taken from one of our providers on or after 1 October 2017. If you do not already have an existing eligible test certificate, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have booked a test date so that you can obtain the required results before 11 July 2019.
If you still have questions on the English language criteria, here are a few things that you can do:
- Consult the English language guidance on the Chevening website
- Visit our FAQ page for answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Ask the Chevening Secretariat directly by submitting an enquiry.
If you already have all the information you need, please apply before 6 November. Good luck!